We were hoping that the news about an iPhone self combusting was an isolated one, but it seems that that’s not it. In what is the second case in less than a week, a guy named Ayla Paulo Mota from Brazil saw his iPhone 4 get short circuited and burn just fifteen inches from his face.

Another one catches fire

Another one catches fire..

As reported by BlogdoiPhone, here’s what happened. Ayla had plugged in the unit for charging before going to bed. After waking up at dawn, he saw that his iPhone was enveloped in smoke and had a lot of sparks coming out of it. He quickly turned off the mains in his room to stop the phone from charging, but as can be seen from the picture above, quite a bit of damage had already been done to the phone. Luckily the user woke up before something serious could have happened and emerged unscathed out of the situation.


These two isolated incidents are still not cause for widespread panic as most users leave their phones overnight for charging. However, we’re hoping that Apple looks into this matter at the earliest.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,