CES is a-buzz with electronics and all kinds of gizmos and this year could be really big for the big players like Samsung who’ve just unveiled and launched their PC 7 device. This, the first device in the PC 7 series, is a slick looking tablet with a slide out QWERTY keypad. It was only a matter of time before someone threw in one of those. The tablet device will feature a Microsoft Windows 7 operating system and powered by the upcoming Intel Atom processor platform. The full 80/81-key keyboard with individually spaced keys looks as good as any notebook’s complete with mouse interface touch-sensitive track pad.
In their press release, Samsung seems to be leaning towards the youth/student/young professional segment since it’s a lightweight device, ergo very portable and the keypad adds quite a bit of versatility as well.
Here’s a closer look at the specs –
- Intel ATOM Oak Trail Z670 @ 1.66GHz
- Intel Integrated Graphics
- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium OS with Samsung Touch Launcher
- 2GB DDR2 + Hard Drive – 32GB or 64GB (mSATA SSD)
- 10.1-inch touchscreen HD LCD display (340 nit) and a resolution of 1366 x 768
- Integrated speaker (0.8W x 2)
- USB 2.0
- 4-in-1 memory card reader
- HMDI out
- 1.3MP Webcam
- Lithium Polymer battery with estimated up to 9 hours of usage time
- Support for Wi-Fi, WiMax; 3G
- Dimensions: 10.47 x 6.88 x 0.78 inches (W x D x H)
- Weight: Starting at 2.18 lbs
The six-cell lithium-polymer battery , combined with an Eco Light Sensor which adjusts screen brightness based on available ambient light should be able to run the device for up to 9 hours. The Fast Start option is designed to boot the device up in a matter of 15 seconds or restore you from Hibernate and Sleep modes in a 3 seconds. Multitasking is supported in the Windows mode as well as in touch mode.
The Sliding PC 7 Series comes with several pre-loaded apps that are optimized for the touch screen. These include Samsung’s applications for music, video, photos, note taking, weather, clock, compass and many more. In addition, Microsoft Bing Maps provides useful tools that help get more out of search, including the intuitive Bing voice search, which enables users to type with their voice to find what they’re looking for. More touch based applications will be available via the Samsung App Manager and Windows Product Scout. Samsung AllShare (preloaded)