Google Currents delivers beautiful magazine-like editions to your tablet and smartphone for high speed and offline reading. In an official blog post, Google’s Mussie Shore mentioned, “With this update, we’ve made Google Currents available globally, wherever apps are available on Google Play and the Apple App Store. International publishers, using Google Currents Producer, can now begin adding local content for an international audience, choosing where to make it available globally and whether to enable auto-translation.”
Editions are all free and include:
- Publisher editions – Publishers such as Forbes, The Guardian, PBS, Saveur, and more have produced hundreds of editions, including in-depth articles, videos, fine photography, slideshows, live-maps, and social streams.
- Google trending editions – Google Currents uses Google search technology to hourly build a set of editions tracking the five most recent trending stories in categories such as world, entertainment, sports, science, and more. Each story is presented through a fresh edition of articles, videos, and pictures,
- Your favourite blogs and feeds – Instantly, turn your Google Reader subscriptions, or any of your favourite blogs/feeds into a beautiful edition with a magazine feel.
Now available internationally!
Beautifully rendered, free, and with your favourite publications that can be read on your smartphone and tablet each edition is available for high speed offline reading, and provides quick-touch sharing. Google Currents self-adapts to differently sized phones and tablets, with your subscriptions synchronized across devices. Google Currents is one reading experience you sure don’t want to miss.
The app was recently updated as well and this new version brings to you:
- Sync speed – Dramatic (7X) performance boost.
- Instant online sync – No need to press “sync”. Just open an edition for latest content.
- Offline reading – Choose favorite editions for offline images.
- International – Currents now available worldwide (in 44 languages).
- Translate – Translate complete editions to your preferred language. (38 languages).
- Trending – Local trending stories provided for US, FR, UK, DE, IT, ES, JP, AU.
- Bug fixes
It was named by New York Times, The Next Web and more as one of the top 10 Android apps in 2011 and now that it’s available internationally, you can download it straight from the Google Play Store. For those of you’ll who have used Flipboard on your iOS device, this app has a similar look and feel to it, and you can download it from this link.
Publish date: April 13, 2012 3:54 pm| Modified date: December 18, 2013 10:02 pm
Android, Google Apps, Google Current app, Google Currents, Google Currents app download, Google Currents for Android, Google Currents for iOS, Google Currents for iPhone, Google Currents for iPod, Google Currents for mobiles, Google Currents for smartphones