In yet another update to Google Maps this month, Google introduces an extensive refresh to its high resolution aerial and satellite imagery, which can be viewed in both Google Maps and Google Earth. New 45-degree imagery in Google Maps spanning 30 new cities will also be introduced. Confirming the changes in an official blog post, Google’s Geo Data Strategist, Eric Kolb, adds, “Improving the availability of more high quality imagery is one of the many ways we’re continuing to bring you the most comprehensive and accurate maps of the world”.
The aerial imagery on both Google Maps and Google Earth has now been updated for over 20 locations, while satellite imagery has been updated for more than 60 regions. Kolb highlights that among the new locations included in its latest release is the imagery of the Mecca in Saudi Arabia — a religious site, where more than 15 million pilgrims gather each year. Another interesting imagery is that of the Abraj Al Bait, one of the world’s tallest clock towers.
Google Maps gets an update
The new 45-degree imagery in Google Maps is now available across 23 US cities and seven international locations.
In its blog post, Google elaborates on the new locations where now high resolution 45-degree imagery is available, the areas with new high resolution aerial imagery and those with new high resolution satellite updates.
Cities with new high resolution 45-degree imagery:
- United States: Bend, OR; Bloomington, IN; Buffalo, NY; Cincinnati, OH; Columbus, IN; Columbus, OH; Conway, SC; Evansville, IN; Fort Wayne, IN; Gastonia, NC; Hamilton, OH; Indianapolis, IN; Jackson, TN; Joliet, IL; Kokomo, IN; Lincoln, NE; Louisville, KY; Mankato, MN; Muncie, IN; Owensboro, KY; Palm Valley, FL; Rochester, MN; Wilmington, NC.
- International: Béziers, France; Bordeaux, France; Lille, France; Marseille, France; St. Etienne, France; Platja d'Aro, Spain; Blanes, Spain.
Areas with new high resolution aerial imagery:
- United States: Centralia WA, Tillamook OR, Salem OR, Dos Rios CA, Mount Shasta area CA, Lassen area CA, Joshua Tree area CA, Ely NV, Elko NV, Las Vegas NV, Lander WY, Onawa IA, Ames IA, Perry IA, Bolivar MO, Mountain Grove MO, Rolla MO, Coldwater KS, Spearman TX, Hereford TX, San Antonio TX, Tyler TX, Lafayette LA, Huntsville AL, Waycross GA, Palatka FL, Fort Pierce FL, Allentown PA
- Portugal: Torre de Coelheiros
- Spain: Baiona, Ourense, Torrelavega, San Sebastian, Pamplona, Nulles, Guadassuar, San Miguel de Salinas, Castellar de la Frontera, Los Palacios y Villafranca, Bailen
- France: Bordeaux, Montpellier, Lyon, Dijon, Grenoble
- Italy: Livorno, Rome, Catania
- Switzerland: Montreux, Neuchatel, Zurich
- England: Olympic Park
- Germany: Munich, Heidelberg, Flieden, Alsfeld,
- Austria: Salzburg
Areas new high resolution satellite updates:
USA, Greenland, Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, Argentina, Antarctica, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Zambia, Angola, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda, Kenya, Central African Republic, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Burkina Faso, Guinea, Algeria, Morocco, Western Sahara, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Greece, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Belarus, Lithuania, Estonia, Russia, Khazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Iran, Pakistan, India, Nepal, Bhutan, China, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Australia, New Zealand
In a more recent update to the blog post, Kolb informs that the satellite and aerial image mentioned is currently available in Google Earth only, and will be incorporated in Google Maps shortly.
Publish date: September 8, 2012 10:41 am| Modified date: December 19, 2013 12:55 am