Unveiled to the world as a balding yet bearded, stout drug addict, Max Payne’s new avatar sent the gaming world into a tizzy. Fans were aghast at the treatment of their beloved monologue spewing icon who now resembled a flabbier Bruce Willis from the Die Hard series. There even was a teaser trailer released a while back but since then on there’s only been silence from Take-Two’s end regarding this game. In fact they recently revealed their launch line up for the next year and Max Payne 3 was nowhere on it.
- L.A. Noire (Xbox 360, PS3): Spring 2011
- Top Spin 4 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii): Fiscal Q4 2011
- Major League Baseball 2K11 (Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Wii, PC): Fiscal Q4 2011
- Duke Nukem Forever (Xbox 360, PS3, PC): Calendar Year 2011 (yes, really)
- Spec Ops: The Line (Xbox 360, PS3, PC): Fiscal Year 2012
- XCOM (Xbox 360, PC): Fiscal Year 2012
- BioShock Infinite (Xbox 360, PS3, PC): Calendar Year 2012
According to 1up, a concerned Kotaku got this answer from a Take-Two PR repswhen quizzed about Payne’s fate, “We're still working hard on Max, and we'll have more news in the coming months.” Okay then.
Could it be Rockstar have taken Payne back to the drawing board after the not-so-positive feedback from fans? Could this be another Splinter Cell in the making? Is Max Payne 3 on its way to become vaporware? Why am I asking so many questions?