Microsoft revealed its new tablet, Surface yesterday. Two new models were announced – Surface for Windows RT and Surface for Windows 8 Pro. Interestingly, these tablets come branded under Microsoft. Though Microsoft has revealed a list of nifty features, the manufacturer that the company roped in to build it is still a mystery. Now, the rumour has it that Pegatron could possibly be the manufacturer of Surface. In an interview with Bloomberg, Pegatron’s chief financial officer refused to comment if they are indeed the manufacturers of the Surface tablet, or name other customers.
Microsoft Surface Tablet dressed in Black
Charles Lin, Chief Financial Officer for the Taipei-based company, said , “I think this is the major purpose of them doing a tablet, as it can enhance their ecosystem, to help them promote and get a lot of developers to make apps to share in their store. This kind of device may help them to promote their Win8 solutions and demonstrate the strengths and capabilities of the new Windows 8.”
Pentagron is the assembler of Apple’s iPhones and points out that the new Surface tablet computer is to help promote the Windows ecosystem, as Microsoft enters the fierce competition dominated by Apple and Google.
At the hyped event, which held yesterday, on display was the Surface for Windows RT looking ravishing and chic. Though the Surface for Windows 8 Pro wasn’t displayed, it is expected to be almost similar, albeit a tad bulkier. Here are some of the highlighted features of Surface:
- Software: Surface sports a full-sized USB port and a 16:9 aspect ratio, which is the industry standard for HD. It has edges angled at 22 degrees, a natural position for the PC at rest or in active use, letting the hardware fade into the background and the software stand out.
- VaporMg: The casing of Surface is created using a unique approach, called VaporMg (pronounced Vapor-Mag), a combination of material selection and process to mold metal and deposit particles that creates a finish akin to a luxury watch. Starting with magnesium, parts can be molded as thin as .65 mm, thinner than a typical credit card, to create a product that is thin, light and rigid/strong.
- Integrated Kickstand: The unique VaporMg approach also enables a built-in kickstand that lets you transition Surface from active use to passive consumption – watching a movie or even using the HD front- or rear-facing video cameras. The kickstand is there when needed, and disappears when not in use, with no extra weight or thickness.
- Touch Cover: The 3 mm Touch Cover represents a step forward in human-computer interface. Using a unique pressure-sensitive technology, Touch Cover senses keystrokes as gestures, enabling you to touch type significantly faster than with an on-screen keyboard. It will be available in a selection of vibrant colors. Touch Cover clicks into Surface via a built-in magnetic connector, forming a natural spine like you find on a book, and works as a protective cover. You can also click in a 5 mm-thin Type Cover that adds moving keys for a more traditional typing feel.
You can take a quick look at the spec sheet of both tablets here –
Surface for Windows RT-
- OS: Windows RT
- Weight: 676g
- Depth: 9.3 mm
- Display: 10.6-inch ClearType HD Display
- Energized: 31.5 W-h
- Connectivity: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2×2 MIMO antennae
- Productive: Office ‘15’ Apps, Touch Cover, Type Cover
- Practical: VaporMg Case and Stand
- Configurable: 32GB, 64GB
Surface for Windows 8 Pro-
- OS: Windows 8 Pro
- Weight: 903g
- Depth: 13.5 mm
- Display: 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD Display
- Energized: 42 W-h
- Connected: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2×2 MIMO antennae
- Productive: Touch Cover, Type Cover, Pen with Palm Block
- Practical: VaporMg Case and Stand
- Configurable: 64GB, 128GB
While it’s still uncertain whether Pegatron are the manufacturers of Surface, as reportedly, it currently has about five tablet products in development for both Windows and Android platforms.
Publish date: June 20, 2012 9:38 am| Modified date: December 18, 2013 10:33 pm
Micorsoft Surface price in India, Microsoft Surface, Microsoft Surface announced, Microsoft Surface cover, Microsoft Surface details, Microsoft Surface features, Microsoft Surface images, Microsoft Surface Keynote, Microsoft Surface launched, Microsoft Surface live keynote, Microsoft Surface price, Microsoft surface specifications, Microsoft Surface specs, Microsoft Surface tablet announced, Microsoft Surface tablets announced, Microsoft Surface Windows 8, Microsoft Surface Windows 8 Pro, Microsoft Surface Windows RT, pegatron microsoft surface, Surface, Surface announced, Surface RT, Surface tablet, Tablets, Windows Surface