Two new docks from JBL bring about some high expectations. While I’ve been pretty impressed with most of their stuff, some of their products have been total downers.
This iPod dock is a pretty snazzy looking device that they’ve christened the On Time 5V and they’re actually calling it a ‘Time Machine’. Let’s hope this one is better than the On Time Micro I reviewed a while back, though. This one is supposed to be a 'compact, high-performance time machine and sound centre'. It lets you connect your iPod, MP3 player or other music source to the JBL On Time dock and wake up to music of your choice. The JBL On Time includes a radio, clock and dual alarm, and is the world’s first time machine to include a menu-driven, intuitive user interface.
Here are the tech specs:
- Compatibility: Charging latest generation of iPod models, compatible with most MP3 and CD players, game consoles, desktop and laptop computers (all platforms) and satellite radio. Certain product features may not be supported by all iPod versions
- Input Requirements: Main connection: docking connector for iPod Auxiliary connection: 3.5mm (1/8″) stereo mini-jack
- Drivers: One Ridge and two Phoenix neodymium transducers
- Power: 2 x 6 watts
- Frequency Response: 70Hz – 20kHz
- Dimensions: Width: 254mm (10″), Height: 254mm (10″)
- Weight: 1.2kg (2.5 lb)
- Input Impedance: > 5kohms
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 80dB
The second dock will come as a pleasant surprise to all the iPod haters, as this one’s made for the Sony Walkman. It 's called the On Stage III WM, and looks almost exactly like the original JBL On Stage Micro made for the iPod. This is a bit disappointing, considering that the recently released On Stage IV had this cool sci-fi look. Like any other dock, this one charges your Sony Walkman and comes with an IR remote.
Check out the specs:
- Compatibility: Compatible with all “WM-PORT” equipped “Walkman” models except NWS703F/
- Input Requirements: Main connection – WM-Port connector for “Walkman”; auxiliary connection – 3.5mm (1/8″) stereo mini-jack
- Drivers: Four Odyssey