Old phones hardly ever get updated to the latest versions of their operating system, and the onus is often passed on to developers to get the device up to speed. Some industrious developers from the XDA Developers forums have leaked the latest build for Sony’s old Xperia P. The firmware, numbered at 6.2.A.0.399, is a build of Jelly Bean.
It was originally intended to be for internal testing purposes only before it got leaked. You can grab the ROM from its thread on XDA. You need to be running on an Ice Cream Sandwich ROM or the official ICS to be able to flash the ROM to your phone. Simply dump it in your phone, boot it into recovery, flash the ROM and you’re good to go. Considering the fact that this is a leaked developer build, however, be advised that the ROM isn’t meant to be a daily driver and you should make backups of your current ROM before trying this one on.
As of yet, there’s no word from Sony about an official release of Jelly Bean for the Xperia P, but the presence of this leaked ROM points to the possibility that the update may be released this year itself.
The Jelly Bean ROM has been leaked
The phone got the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update back in August 2012 with a global rollout. Sony listed some of the features users got after the update:
- New ways to experience your media with new media applications – “WALKMAN”, “Album” and “Movies”
- Extended standby mode, increasing standby time by up to four times (depending on user-profile and data consumption)
- Lock screen with improved functionality
- Resizable widgets for improved personalisation
- Improved control of your mobile data consumption
- Recent Apps button for a clear overview of your applications
The Sony Xperia P is powered by a 1GHz dual-core processor with 1GB RAM and internal storage of 16GB. The camera is an 8MP shooter, instead of the 12MP on Xperia S. Still, this shouldn’t keep it from capturing good quality photographs.
Here are some of the highlights of the phone:
- 4-inch Reality Display powered by Mobile BRAVIA Engine
- 3G, EDGE/GPRS, Wi-Fi
- GPS with A-GPS
- Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP, NFC
- 8MP camera with fast capture, HD recording, 2D and 3D panoramic image capture capability
- 16GB internal memory
- HDMI, DLNA
The Xperia P hit shelves back in May. It is a slightly tamed version of the Xperia S and will feature a 4-inch Reality Display. It measures 122 x 59.5 x 10.5 mm and weighs 120 g. Besides, the music experience is also one of a kind as it includes xLoud, Clear Bass and 3D surround. Another highlight is the aluminium unibody construction, something the more expensive Xperia S lacked.
Publish date: April 1, 2013 12:52 pm| Modified date: December 19, 2013 10:43 am
Android, Android 4.0, Android 4.1, Android Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, Smartphones, Sony, Sony Xperia P, Sony Xperia P Jelly Bean, Sony Xperia P ROM, Xperia P, Xperia P ICS, Xperia P Update