Amazon has just announced Kindle Library Lending, a new feature launching later this year that will allow Kindle customers to borrow Kindle books from over 11,000 libraries in the US. Kindle Library Lending will be available for all generations of Kindle devices and free Kindle reading apps.
A library at your fingertips
The new feature is fully compatible with even Kindle apps for mobile and tablet operating systems – Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone. If a Kindle book is checked out again or that book is purchased from Amazon, all of a customer's annotations and bookmarks will be preserved. Using their own Whispersync technology users will be able to highlight parts and add margin notes to Kindle books they check out from your local library. Notes will not show up when the next patron checks out the book users who re-check out books, or subsequently buy it, will find all notes still retained.
With Kindle Library Lending, customers can take advantage of all of the unique features of Kindle and Kindle books, including:
- Paper-like Pearl electronic-ink display
- No glare even in bright sunlight
- Lighter than a paperback – weighs just 8.5 ounces and holds up to 3,500 books
- Up to one month of battery life with wireless off
- Read everywhere with free Kindle apps for Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry and Windows Phone
- Whispersync technology wirelessly sync your books, notes, highlights, and last page read across Kindle and free Kindle reading apps
- Real Page Numbers – easily reference passages with page numbers that correspond to actual print editions
Amazon is also working with OverDrive, a provider of digital content solutions for over 11,000 public and educational libraries in the United States, to bring a library borrowing experience to Kindle customers.
Kindle Library Lending will be available later this year for Kindle and free Kindle app users, no specific date have been mentioned.
Publish date: April 21, 2011 3:27 pm| Modified date: December 18, 2013 7:39 pm