Lenovo and NEC have come together to create an alliance, called the NEC Lenovo Japan Group to form what is possibly Japan’s largest PC manufacturer and the world’s third largest PC manufacturer. Lenovo will hold a 51 per cent share in the group and NEC will hold the other 49 per cent share.
The joint venture should see NEC and Lenovo take on the likes of HP and Apple
NEC will receive $175 million from Lenovo through their shares. Each of the companies will continue products with their individual brand names and also provide support by themselves. The formalities are set to be completed by the end of June this year. It should also boost NEC’s expansion of the PC market across the world. Lenovo on the other hand also been expanding its scope across various categories such as tablets and cell phones. The venture should help Lenovo and NEC take on the big PC manufacturers such as HP, who currently have a big market share.
Publish date: January 29, 2011 1:39 pm| Modified date: December 18, 2013 7:14 pm