There were rumblings over the last few days as to what Microsoft would unveil at their highly-anticipated event, and just a few short hours ago in Hollywood, the brand took the wraps off a new family of PCs for Windows: the Surface tablet. Microsoft's new line-up of tablets includes a Surface running on the ARM processor that features Windows RT and another running on a third-generation Intel Core processor featuring Windows 8 Pro.
Microsoft is touting Surface as “PCs built to be the ultimate stage for Windows”. Company executives stated that the Windows tablets and accessories feature significant advances in industrial design and attention to detail. The Surface is designed to seamlessly transition between consumption and creation, without compromise. It delivers the power of amazing software with Windows and the feel of premium hardware in one exciting experience.
Here are some of the highlighted features of the Surface:
- Software: Surface sports a full-sized USB port and a 16:9 aspect ratio, which is the industry standard for HD. It has edges angled at 22 degrees, a natural position for the PC at rest or in active use, letting the hardware fade into the background and the software stand out.
- VaporMg: The casing of Surface is created using a unique approach called VaporMg (pronounced Vapor-Mag), a combination of material selection and process to mold metal and deposit particles that creates a finish akin to a luxury watch. Starting with magnesium, parts can be molded as thin as .65 mm, thinner than the typical credit card, to create a product that is thin, light and rigid/strong.
- Integrated Kickstand: The unique VaporMg approach also enables a built-in kickstand that lets you transition Surface from active use to passive consumption – watching a movie or even using the HD front- or rear-facing video cameras. The kickstand is there when needed, and disappears when not in use, with no extra weight or thickness.
- Touch Cover: The 3 mm Touch Cover represents a step forward in human-computer interface. Using a unique pressure-sensitive technology, Touch Cover senses keystrokes as gestures, enabling you to touch type significantly faster than with an on-screen keyboard. It will be available in a selection of vibrant colors. Touch Cover clicks into Surface via a built-in magnetic connector, forming a natural spine like you find on a book, and works as a protective cover. You can also click in a 5 mm-thin Type Cover that adds moving keys for a more traditional typing feel.
Microsoft states that with the fast and fluid interface, easy connectivity, information and apps that users care about most, Surface will be a premium way to experience all that Windows has to offer.
The brand claims that one of the strengths of Windows is its extensive ecosystem of software and hardware partners, delivering selection and choice, which makes a customer’s Windows experience uniquely their own. This continues with Surface. Microsoft is delivering a unique contribution to an already strong and growing ecosystem of functional and stylish devices delivered by original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to bring the experience of Windows to consumers and businesses around the globe.
Surface for Windows RT
- OS: Windows RT
- Weight: 676 g
- Depth: 9.3 mm
- Display: 10.6-inch ClearType HD Display
- Energized: 31.5 W-h
- Connectivity: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2×2 MIMO antennae
- Productive: Office ‘15’ Apps, Touch Cover, Type Cover
- Practical: VaporMg Case & Stand
- Configurable: 32 GB, 64 GB
Surface for Windows 8 Pro
- OS: Windows 8 Pro
- Weight: 903 g
- Depth: 13.5 mm
- Display: 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD Display
- Energized: 42 W-h
- Connected: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2×2 MIMO antennae
- Productive: Touch Cover, Type Cover, Pen with Palm Block
- Practical: VaporMg Case & Stand
- Configurable: 64 GB, 128 GB
Surface for Windows RT will release with the general availability of Windows 8, and the Windows 8 Pro model will be available about 90 days later. Both will be sold in the Microsoft Store locations in the U.S. and available through select online Microsoft Stores. As of now, there is no information on the pricing or availability of Surface in India. For more information on the Surface, click here.
Micorsoft Surface price in India, Microsoft Surface, Microsoft Surface cover, Microsoft Surface details, Microsoft Surface features, Microsoft Surface price, Microsoft surface specifications, Microsoft Surface specs, Microsoft Surface tablet announced, Microsoft Surface tablets announced, Microsoft Surface Windows 8, Microsoft Surface Windows RT, Surface, Surface announced, Surface tablet, Tablets