Microsoft’s Windows Phone Tango was quite a spoken about topic at MWC, last week. Now, we’ve got some more news and details about WP Tango and its limitations. As reported by the Verge, here’s a full detailed list of what’s changing (and what’s not changing) with Windows Phone Tango.
Let's do the Tango?
- WP Marketplace app restrictions – This one is quite a downer. With Tango, whichever applications are processor intensive and have certain memory requirements will not work with devices that have 256 MB of RAM.
- Podcast and videocast subscriptions – Those devices that have 256 MB of RAM won’t be able to manage subscriptions related to podcasts or watch video podcasts either.
- Bing Local Scout – This feature won’t be accessible to devices with 256 MB of RAM.
- Fast App switching – If your application uses over 90 MB, it will be killed immediately after deactivation. Fast app switching will be enabled for the other apps.
- SkyDrive automatic photo upload – Automatic upload, again, will not be available for those with 256 MB of RAM, but manually, users will be able to upload their photos.
- HD video playback – Certain codecs won’t be supported and hence won’t be playable with devices that will have 256 MB of RAM.
- Background agents – Background agents have been removed for devices with 256 MB of RAM.
That’s a whole load of stuff that Microsoft is eliminating or disabling with Windows Phone Tango, which clearly says one thing – Tango, isn’t really an ‘update’ per se. Additionally, Microsoft has even given developers to key aspects to consider – optimize start time and reduce memory usage. Besides these limitations, there are a couple of add-ons with Tango with better MMS integration, SIM management and a new location alert icon. It seems like MS is trying to make their upcoming smartphones of the extreme budget phone variety, otherwise these additions / limitations don’t really impress us. Because, for example, if the Lumia 710 is just a couple of grands more expensive than the 610, and has all these features, then we’re definitely going to ignore the 610. On the other hand, if the price gap is a good 5k – 6k, then Tango and 256 MB of RAM does make sense.
Publish date: March 9, 2012 10:46 am| Modified date: December 18, 2013 9:47 pm
Bing Scout on WP Tango, Smartphones, Tango app switching, Windows Phone Tango, WP Tango 256 MB RAM, WP Tango device restrictions, WP Tango features, WP Tango full restrictions, WP tango HD video, WP Tango limitations, WP Tango marketplace restrictions, WP Tango multitasking, WP Tango podcast restrictions, WP Tango restrictions