After a long period of silence, Apogee has released a new trailer for its upcoming remake of Rise of the Triad. The trailer, dubbed the Deadly Gentlemen trailer, seems to be going for a holiday theme, along with showing off the insane gameplay that the original Rise of the Triad was famous for.
The trailer shows some jumping and shooting sequences on jump-pads strewn across the game's levels, all to an electronica rendition of Christmas carol “God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen”.
Back in August, developer Interceptor had started a developer diary blog that shows some of the behind-the-scenes stuff that goes on during the development of the game. The first post on the blog explained the direction the team is taking with the visuals and level design of the game.
The team believes that it needs to give each of the four acts a distinct visual feel, as it is “something we desperately think newer first person shooters need.” The original game only had different textures, which changed the look of each level because of the technical limitations of the time, “but obviously in 2012 we can do much more to create the atmosphere and mood we are looking for.” The developers have also released a time-lapsed video that shows the creation of the level, “The Room”.
At QuakeCon, Apogee announced that Rise of the Triad will get a remake in Unreal Engine 3. The new game will also be a first person shooter and will be available for PC later this year. The studio working on the remake is Interceptor Entertainment, a studio based in Denmark that before this was working on a non-commercial remake of Duke Nukem 3D in Unreal Engine 3. Development of that game was put on hold in 2011.
Boom goes the enemy
Much like the original, the remake of Rise of the Triad will have five playable characters. Popular game modes from back then, such as shroom mode, dog mode and “Excalibat” will be returning along with the weapons from the previous game. The remake will have a single player campaign as well as a multiplayer mode and will be using Steam Workshop to support the modding community for the game.
Here are the features of the game according to the announcement press release:
- Step into the shoes of the H.U.N.T. (High-Risk United Nations Taskforce) with five unique characters, each with different play styles.
- Blast through over 20 of levels of explosive single-player action.
- Unique multiplayer maps bring back all the fun and excitement of classic ROTT.
- The full arsenal of over-the top weapons is back, including the Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile, Drunk Missile and, of course, the Excalibat!
- The maniacal modes return, too, with God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone’s favorite, Dog mode!
- Build your own levels, mods and share them with Valve’s Steamworks.
- Offline single-player and multiplayer allows for instant action.
- Find tons of secrets, collectables, special events and hidden areas to explore.
- Get more than 100 achievements to add to your score, which is tracked on our worldwide leaderboard and stat-tracking system.
- ROTT is bloodier and more ludicrous than ever, with full character and enemy dismemberment.
- The iconic original soundtrack has been completely re-forged in the fires of heavy metal!
- Nostalgia abounds with the option to play with all the original sounds and music.
- Built on fully-licensed Unreal Engine 3 technology, ROTT will run on low-end PCs and push high-end PCs to their limits!
Publish date: December 27, 2012 3:06 pm| Modified date: December 19, 2013 6:12 am
3D Realms, Apogee, first-person shooter, FPS, Games, Gaming, PC Games, PC gaming, QuakeCon, Rise of the Triad, Rise of the Triad Blog, Rise of the Triad Developer Blog, Rise of the Triad Developer Diary, Rise of the Triad Remake, Unreal Engine, Unreal Engine 3