After recently announcing the D4, Nikon have officially announced the D800 FX-format digital SLR camera, which they claim offers the world's highest effective pixel count of 36.3-million pixels and is equipped with the EXPEED 3 image-processing engine and a 91K-pixel RGB sensor that provides definition and image quality. This model is also equipped with a variety of new functions that offer a high level of value in a body that’s compact and lightweight.
This full-frame camera can be yours by March
Nikon states, “In addition to a new Nikon FX-format CMOS image sensor and the new EXPEED 3 image-processing engine, specifically optimized for Nikon digital SLR cameras, the D800 is equipped with a new 91K-pixel (approximately 91,000 pixels) RGB sensor that supports the Advanced Scene Recognition System with its noteworthy advances in scene recognition performance. The camera is also equipped with a number of new functions, including Multi-area mode Full HD D-Movie that enables movie recording using either the FX-based movie format or the DX-based movie format.” Apart from this, Nikon have also released the D800E, for those wanting an increased resolution for images with more display.
This camera, though boasting great still image specifications can be the ideal camera for those wanting to capture videos as it can output content simultaneously on both its LCD display as well as a monitor. Nikon states, “Recording of 1920 x 1080p/30-fps full-HD movies is supported, and users can choose to record using the FX-based movie format or the DX-based movie format according to recording conditions. The FX-based movie format offers a shallow depth-of-field with an emphasis on blur characteristics while the DX-based movie format enables recording of movies that bring subjects closer when lenses with short focal lengths are used.” This camera also comes with a headphone jack and supports the adjustment of microphone sensitivity.
Here is a look at the highlighted features of the Nikon D800:
- Type – DSLR
- Lens mount – Nikon F mount
- Effective pixels – 36.3 million
- Image sensor – 35.9 x 24.0 mm Nikon FX format CMOS sensor
- File Format – NEF (RAW), TIFF, JPEG, NEF + JPEG
- Media – SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards, CompactFlash memory cards
- Viewfinder – Eye-level pentaprism single-lens reflex viewfinder
- Metering method – 3D color matrix metering III, color matrix metering III
- ISO sensitivity – ISO 100 to 6400
- Autofocus – Nikon Advanced Multi-CAM 3500FX autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection
- Monitor – 3.2-inch
- Interface – USB, HDMI output, audio input, audio output, 10-pin remote terminal
- Dimensions – Approximately 146 x 123 x 81.5 mm