Nvidia – best known for its graphics cards – has launched a new set of GPUs for laptops. In line with its new 700 series of GPUs, the company has launched the GTX 700M series of GPUs for notebooks. These GPUs are primarily designed with gaming on a notebook in mind. With the new GPUs, Nvidia aims to keep the price of the GPUs at the same level as the previous generation, but with much better overall performance.
“Virtually all of the new gaming notebooks are built around GeForce GTX 700M GPUs,” said Vice President and General Manager of Computing Products at Nvidia Rene Haas. “The GPU is the heart of any gaming PC, and all the top gaming OEMs unanimously chose the GeForce GTX 700M series this refresh cycle. GeForce GTX means gaming, more now than ever before.”
The new notebook GPUs are a significant upgrade over the previous generation
The new GeForce GTX 700M GPU line-up includes:
- The GeForce GTX 780M – The world’s fastest notebook GPU, compared to benchmarks against AMD's Radeon 8970M on benchmarking tool 3DMark Fire strike
- The GeForce GTX 770M – up to 55 percent faster than the GeForce 670M, which is the GPU that the 770M aims to replace
- The GeForce GTX 765M – This is the GPU that was selected by Razer to build its ultra-thin gaming laptop – the Razer Blade. The GPU is 40 percent thinner and lighter than cards from the GeForce 600M series
- The GeForce GTX 760M – This card is up to 30 percent faster than the GTX 660M, which is the GPU that the GTX 760M aims to replace
Like all of Nvidia's new GPUs, the 700M series is based on the company's new Kepler architecture. It comes with Nvidia's standard technology that helps give you performance as well as maintain a decent battery life on laptops. The technology in the GPUs include:
- Nvidia's Optimus technology, which enables an un-embarrassing battery life by switching the GPU on and off so it runs only when needed.
- Nvidia's GeForce Experience software which adjusts in-game settings and lets you optimise them according to the hardware you have. The software also keeps you up to date on your GPU drivers.
- Nvidia's GPU Boost 2.0 technology which adjusts GPU clock speeds to increase graphic performance.
According to Nvidia, notebook manufacturers that have committed to using GeForce GTX 700M GPUs in their designs include Acer, Asus, Clevo, Gigabyte, MSI, Razer and Toshiba.