Panasonic introduced the Panasonic Toughbook S9, saying it's the world's lightest 12.1″ laptop with an integrated DVD drive. Powered by the Intel Core i5-520M vPro processor, delivering up to 11 hours of battery life with a standard battery and weighing 3.0 pounds.
Despite its widescreen LED display, the Toughbook S9 successfully survives drops of 12″ from any angle using the MIL-STD-810G drop procedure. The unique Panasonic spill-resistant keyboard design protects against liquid spills of up to 6 ounces (200 cc), and both the lid and base of the notebook are designed to withstand more than 220 lbs (100 kg) of pressure.
The Toughbook S9 offers a variety of embedded wireless technologies, including Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 and optional Gobi2000 mobile broadband technology from Qualcomm.
Panasonic Toughbook S9: Select Features and Specifications
- Genuine Windows 7 (with XP downgrade option)
- Intel Core i5-520M vPro Processor (2.4 GHz)
- Turbo Boost up to 2.93 GHz
- 3MB Intel Smart Cache
- 320GB shock-mounted flex-connect hard drive
- 2GB RAM (DDR3), expandable to 6GB
- 12.1″ widescreen WXGA (1280 x 800) LCD display with LED backlighting
- Anti-glare screen treatment
- Up to 11 hours of battery life with standard battery (MobileMark)
- 3.0 lbs
- DVD super multi-drive
- HDMI and VGA video outputs
- 30″ operating drop (to base only)
- 26 sides 12″ drop (non-operating)
- 220 lb compression-resistant
- Magnesium alloy case
- Spill-resistant keyboard/touchpad (protects against 6 ounces spills)
- Embedded Connectivity
- Optional integrated WWAN / Gobi2000 mobile broadband (EV-DO and HSPA)
- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 802.11a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR (class 2)
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Optional Integrated Security Features:
- Fingerprint reader
- 11.1″ (H) x 8.3″ (W) x 0.9-1.5″ (D)
Pricing and Availability
The Panasonic Toughbook S9 is available in the United States at an estimated street price of $2,499 from authorized Panasonic resellers and distributors.