Rise of the Triad was a very gratuitously violent game. The original was released in the early days of PC gaming, when Doom was still a big thing and first person shooters were often called doom-clones. Rise of the Triad was an over-the-top game with weird weapons such as drunk missiles. It has been two decades since this classic game was released, and it’s about to make a come back.
At QuakeCon, developer Apogee announced that Rise of the Triad will get a remake in Unreal Engine 3. The new game will also be a first person shooter and will be available for PC later this year. The studio working on the remake is Interceptor Entertainment, a studio based in Denmark that before this was working on a non-commercial remake of Duke Nukem 3D in Unreal Engine 3. Development of that game was put on hold in 2011.
Much like the original, the remake of Rise of the Triad will have five playable characters. Popular game modes from back then such as shroom mode, dog mode and “Excalibat” will be returning along with the weapons from the previous game. The remake will have a single player campaign, as well as a multiplayer mode, and will be using Steam Workshop to support the modding community for the game.
Rise of the Triad is getting a remake!
Here are some of the high points of the remake, according to the press release:
Set for release on PC via Steam late this year, “Rise of the Triad” is packed with features that are sure to melt your face off:
- Step into the shoes of the H.U.N.T. (High-Risk United Nations Taskforce) with five unique characters, each with different play styles.
- Blast through over 20 of levels of explosive single-player action.
- Unique multiplayer maps bring back all the fun and excitement of classic ROTT.
- The full arsenal of over-the top weapons is back, including the Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile, Drunk Missile and, of course, the Excalibat!
- The maniacal modes return, too, with God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone’s favorite, Dog mode!
- Build your own levels, mods and share them with Valve’s Steamworks.
- Offline single-player and multiplayer allows for instant action.
- Find tons of secrets, collectables, special events and hidden areas to explore.
- Get more than 100 achievements to add to your score, which is tracked on our worldwide leaderboard and stat-tracking system.
- ROTT is bloodier and more ludicrous than ever, with full character and enemy dismemberment.
- The iconic original soundtrack has been completely re-forged in the fires of heavy metal!
- Nostalgia abounds with the option to play with all the original sounds and music.
- Built on fully-licensed Unreal Engine 3 technology, ROTT will run on low-end PCs and push high-end PCs to their limits!
There isn’t much information about the remake yet, but it is set up at QuakeCon for people who would like to try out the multiplayer mode of the game.