Samsung Electronics recently launched the second generation of its Series 9 notebook in the Indian market. The new Series 9 is cased in a single-shell aluminium body, and is a mere 12.9mm thick. Samsung claims the notebook is 28 percent smaller than the earlier Series 9.
“The new Samsung Notebook Series 9 represents the ultimate in Samsung craftsmanship towards precision engineering and premium design. The new Series 9 embodies the originality and heritage of its predecessor while eliminating unnecessary factors. The refined aerodynamic design of the new Series 9 represents the best of Samsung’s design with top performance and functionality,” states Ranjit Yadav, Country Head, Samsung Mobile and IT.
The new Samsung Series 9 notebook
The Series 9 is powered by an Intel Core i7 3517U CPU running at 1.9GHz with 4MB of L3 cache and 4GB or DDR3 RAM. It has a 13.3-inch HD, LED backlit screen at a resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels and you have on-board Intel HD Graphics 4000 for powering the visuals. Samsung seems to have opted for speed over storage as this notebook comes with only a 256GB Solid State Drive (SSD).
For connectivity, the notebook has two USB ports (one USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0), a Micro HDMI port, a card reader, a VGA port, a Gigabit Ethernet LAN port, Wi-Fi ab/b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0. For power, you have a 40-watt, 4-cell battery, which Samsung claims has a battery life of up to nine hours. The Series 9 comes with Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) out of the box.
You won’t quite consider the notebook to be a burden in your backpack as it weighs only 1.16kg despite having an aluminium chassis. In addition, the Series 9 features Samsung’s MaxScreen technology, which minimises the bezel size while maximising the screen size by an extra inch. The SuperBright screen that has a brightness level of 400 nits, lending to good sunlight legibility.
The Samsung Series 9 is priced quite high at Rs 1,02,990, making it quite a premium buy.
Here are the specs of the Samsung Series 9:
- Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
- Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor 3517U (1.90GHz, 4MB L3 cache)
- Display: 33.78cm (13.3) SuperBright 400nit HD+ LED Display (1600 x 900), anti-reflective
- Dimension (WxDxH): 313.8 x 218.5 x 12.9mm
- Weight: 1.16kg
- GPU: Intel® HD Graphics 4000
- RAM: 4GB DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz (4 GB x 1, DDP Type)
- HDD: 256 GB Solid-state Drive
- Camera: 1.3 megapixel HD webcam
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth v4.0
- LAN: 10/ 100/ 1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (Dongle bundle)
- Wi-Fi: 802.11abg/n (up to 300Mbps), Widi support
- HDMI: Micro HDMI
- USB: (Sleep-and-Charge) 1 USB 3.0, 1 USB 2.0
- Multi card slot: 3-in-1 (SD, SDHC, SDXC)
- Standard battery: 4 cell (44Wh)
Samsung also launched the Series 5 550P notebook range. These notebooks are powered by Intel’s Core i7 processors, Nvidia 650M GPUs and up to 8GB of RAM. The notebooks in the Series 5 range come with storage space of 1TB. The higher-end model in this series comes with a Blu-ray drive. The 15-inch model in this series weighs just 2.5kg and is priced at Rs 62,990.
Publish date: August 31, 2012 4:56 pm| Modified date: December 19, 2013 12:31 am