SMART Technologies Inc, a leading provider of collaboration solutions, announces the release of 3D Tools for their SMART Notebook software. A new plug-in for SMART Notebook collaborative learning software, it provides tools to import, view and manipulate 3D content in SMART Notebook with no need for additional hardware. 3D models and objects can be manipulated in three dimensions and labeled from a variety of angles and perspectives, enabling increased student understanding of physical objects across a range of subjects – particularly science, technology, engineering and mathematics. The list price for 3D Tools for SMART Notebook software in the US is $49, but will vary from country to country. It will be available globally for download in February 2012 for use with Microsoft Windows 7 and in the spring of 2012 for use with Mac Snow Leopard and Mac OS X Lion.
Useful for students
As part of SMART Notebook software, 3D objects can easily be integrated into existing SMART Notebook lessons. The addition of 3D Tools to SMART Notebook software brings more interactivity into the classroom by enabling students to engage in another dimension with objects. The 3D objects provide detailed images, making complex concepts more tangible. Features such as scene immersion allow learners to enter, explore and navigate from within an image. Labels can be added and remain fixed to an object even when it is being manipulated, so the labelled object can then be saved for future reference.
Some of the highlights include:
- Rotation handles – Explore objects by moving them along a single axis or multiple axes.
- Sticky labels – Attach labels to an object that stay fixed at all times, even as the object is rotated.
- Scene immersion – Navigate internal details of 3D models, change orientation and move within a scene.
- Content insertion– Add 3D content from SMART Exchange, the Gallery in SMART Notebook software or Google 3D Warehouse.
- Disguise tool – Disguise a 3D object as a magic hat and click to reveal it.