The Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) is turning out to be a big event this year for both the major AAA titles as well as the smaller indie titles. One of the big games that will be shown off this year in PAX will be the sequel to the popular action-RPG (Role Playing Game) Torchlight, titled Torchlight 2. Torchlight 2 will also be getting a release date during the event according to the Torchlight 2 blog.
Torchlight is developed by a studio mostly comprised of ex-developers from the now defunct Blizzard North. So far, from what we’ve seen of the closed beta and videos, the game seems to be working on getting the stuff that Blizzard got wrong with Diablo 3. One of the biggest plus points for Torchlight 2 is that unlike Diablo 3, it does not require you to be always online even when playing single player.
Torchlight II will be getting a release date
Torchlight 2 follows the same basic kill-and-loot gameplay that was popularised by the first Diablo game. The game is set to feature four classes – the Outlander, the Embermage, the Berserker and the Engineer. Here are some of the key features of the game according to the developers:
- Multiplayer – Play co-op with your friends via LAN or over the Internet for free. No subscriptions, no item sales. New matchmaking service lets you find friends, start new games and join existing games. And, as always, you can play single-player offline as well.
- Customisable Characters – Players will create and customise a character from one of four brand new classes. Each class can be played as either male or female, with customised cosmetic features and looks to make each individual character stand out. All new skills and loot give loads of opportunity for unique character builds.
- Moddability – TorchED, the Torchlight II editor, will give players the ability to create their own mods, adding even more content to the world. Have your friends download the same mod and play together. TorchED will be available as a separate download very shortly after launch.
- New User Interface – Torchlight II boasts a new and improved user interface, designed to be easier than ever for new players to pick up and play. This intuitive interface ensures you can focus on playing the game the way you want to.
- Open World – We're not only in the town of Torchlight anymore! Explore vast overland areas and multiple hub towns, fight through rain, snow, day and night. Our level randomisation ensures new layouts, paths, loot and monsters every time you play.
- New Game Plus – In New Game Plus, the game's not over until you say it is. Once you've beaten Torchlight II's primary campaign, you can start again with the same character for a significantly greater challenge. You'll keep all of the skills, gold and gear you worked so hard for!
- Pets & Fishing – These popular features make their return in Torchlight II in improved form. More choices, better effects and your pet will still make the run to town to sell your loot so you don’t have to.
The biggest competition Torchlight 2 will have will be from Blizzard’s Diablo 3. Diablo 3 recently got a massive patch that added a bunch of new stuff and fixed a lot of the balancing issues of the game.
Torchlight 2 is available for pre-order on Steam for $19.99 (roughly Rs. 1,100).
Publish date: August 27, 2012 1:54 pm| Modified date: December 19, 2013 12:14 am