Point Grey, one of the world's largest and most innovative providers of high performance digital cameras for industrial, bioscience, traffic, and GIS applications have announced the addition of an exciting new model to its popular line of Flea3 USB 3.0 cameras. The new model leverages the bandwidth capabilities of USB 3.0 by delivering 8.8 MP colour images at 21 FPS (185 MByte/s) in an ultra-compact, low-cost package.
The FL3-U3-88S2C features Sony’s new IMX121 sensor with “Exmor R” back-illuminated CMOS architecture. By increasing quantum efficiency and reducing noise, “Exmor R” improves sensitivity and dynamic range for sharp, high-quality colour images. The impressive 4096 x 2160 resolution combined with the ease of USB 3.0 and the camera’s small size makes the new Flea3 suitable for a variety of high resolution colour applications, including automatic optical inspection, ophthalmology, interactive multimedia, and broadcast.
The world's smallest camera, from Point Grey
Point Grey’s Flea3 camera line measures just 29 x 29 x 30mm and provides a unique set of features dedicated to maximizing USB 3.0 reliability, including a 32 megabyte frame buffer; on-camera power, temperature, and status monitoring; and in-field updatable firmware. The camera also provides colour interpolation, look up table, gamma correction, and pixel binning functionality.
“Since demonstrating the world’s first USB 3.0 camera in 2009, Point Grey continues to push the boundaries of imaging technology,” explains Michael Gibbons, Director of Sales and Marketing. Mr. Gibbons adds, “This camera is our latest innovation; we packed a high quality 8.8 MP, 4K2K sensor into the Flea3 and did it at an unbeatable price-point.”
Here's a detailed look at the specs:
- Video Data Output – upto 24-bit digital data
- Image Data Formats – Y8, Y16, Mono8, Mono12, Mono16 (all models) RGB8, YUV411, YUV422, YUV444, Raw8, Raw12, Raw16 (color models)
- Partial Image Modes – Pixel binning and region of interest (ROI) modes
- White Balance – Automatic/manual modes, programmable via software
- Color Processing – On-camera in YUV or RGB format, or on-PC in Raw format
- Digital Interface – USB 3.0 interface
- Transfer Rates – 5 Gbit/s
- Image Buffer – 32 MB frame buffer
- Memory Channels – 2 memory channels for custom camera settings
- Dimensions – 29 x 29 x 30 mm excluding lens holder (metal case)
- Lens Mount – CS-mount: FL3-U3-13S2, FL3-U3-32S2 / C-mount: FL3-U3-13Y3, FL3-U3-88S2
- Mass – 52 g
- Power Consumption – 5 V, <3 W, via GPIO or USB 3.0 interface
The addition to Flea3 USB 3.0 cameras
The Flea3 FL3-U3-88S2C-C (colour) model is list priced at USD $945 (Rs. 52,442 approx.) and is available to order from Point Grey and its network of distributors. Click here to view a quick unboxing of the world's smallest camera.